Mudelicious (Brian)

Tagged in: 


Our results at this event
Rider Overall Category Pos. Time
Gazza 68 Masters Men 14 5:44:15
Paul 76 Masters Men 18 5:48:18
Gary 89 Veteran Men 25 2:49:56
Wayne 112 Masters Men 34 6:16:49
Brian 117 Veteran Men 37 6:20:10

That was tough today. This was my first 100km race on the 29er HT.

I started today’s race with Wayne. My plan was one stop at the 56km water stop which I knew was cutting it fine but thought as it as cooler I should be ok.

The gun went and heading up the golf course my race was nearly over when a stick flew up into my rear wheel but I was lucky after it freed itself with no damage.

Just further up the track there was a traffic jam happening and riders behind getting a bit edgy. With no vision past the rider in front I give the “When your ready” call and get a reply “Yeah go left”. I put the hammer down to pass and hello, there’s no space to pass. I collected some decent size rocks and immediately felt I had lost about 20psi and had to pull over watching all the riders go by I had just worked so hard to pass :-(. I added some air and was off again.

Again I put the hammer down to catch Wayne but didn’t end up seeing him until I think about the 80km mark.

I get to the first water stop but didn’t stop. At this time I was feeling great, I was eating and drink well and felt even with the crappy conditions it was going to be a good time. So I’m enjoying the single track about 45kms in when I take a salt tablet, go to wash it down and, oh no, I’m out. There was just enough to get it down but with no more water I couldn’t eat and I knew the salt tablet wasn’t going to sit well at all. I had to now back off bit time as I was starting to twinge and totally couldn’t concentrate on the track. All I was doing now was just counting the kilometres down. What made it worse was I’m reading 53km when I approach the 50km sign. This is when you starting thinking, I’m done and I’ll pull the pin.

I get to the water stop and just in time as they only had about 10 litres left as well with a string a riders approaching. At this point you could take the road back which was 7km back to the start. I was in two minds but decided to push on. They fill up the back pack with water and I was off.

I was starting to feel good again and pushed on to the next water stop. I decided to stop and fill up just in case. It wasn’t long after this Wayne caught me which I was surprised as I thought he was ahead. Apparently after my flat when I was hammering along I missed seeing him, doh.

I did the last bit with Wayne and I was actually feeling good, still totally exhausted but good considering the conditions. Not far from the finish I had to take a nature stop and it must have been the fact I had stopped. I went to take off and just had nothing. I finished and my garmin said 6 hours 20 minutes so I was happy that I didn’t pull the pin and pushed on.

I’ll be back but wont even bother turning up if its been wet in the lead up. That said, gee I saw some funny stacks in the mud today. So many times people got stuck, couldn’t unclip and over they went. At least they had soft landings :-)

I’m up to Port Macquarie for the Bottlebutt 100 in 5 weeks. Please, can we have dry tracks.

One last point, man that 29er rolls so fast.

Today’s Profile Below